Several athletes also became a victim from the deadly virus and recently Cameron Champ recently became part of the list. He was set to bound and match with other players but unfortunately, it won’t longer happen as of the moment. He is the second PGA Tour player to have a known and tested positive from COVID-19 after Nick Watney withdrew from the RBC Heritage last week in Hilton Head Island, S.C. The players are now currently being taken care of and undergoing medications.
PGA player Cameron Champ stepped out from participating Travelers Championship in Cromwell, Conn., on Tuesday after he was tested and confirmed as positive for the coronavirus. According to the result, he is asymptomatic, which means, no symptoms of coronavirus were being observed. Cameron Champ said he didn’t feel sick. Per the PGA health and safety rules, he must self-isolate for 10 days for further examinations and medications.
“I feel great physically and I was obviously surprised and disappointed to learn of the test result,” Champ said in a statement. “It’s important now to take the necessary steps and measures to protect others, including my loved ones.”
Despite of the saddening news, the PGA Tour plans to release detailed schedules and mobilization of pre-tournament testing results on Wednesday. The players and matches were brewed down due to adjustments. Still, the previous released schedules will be ineffective. However, fans are still waiting and excited for the tournament to kick-off. Importantly, the PGA officials were deeply saddened with their two players lives are being on stake.
After the result of Cameron Champ came out officially, the Tour issued a statement that read, in part, “PGA Tour member Cameron Champ has withdrawn from the Travelers Championship after testing positive for COVID-19 during pre-tournament screening on Tuesday. Champ will have the PGA Tour’s full support throughout his self-isolation period under CDC guidelines.”
Initially, Cameron Champ was scheduled to match at 8:05 a.m. ET on Thursday with Keith Mitchell and Michael Kim, but due to the untoward incident, it was cancelled. Just two weeks ago, Champ played in the Charles Schwab Challenge in Fort Worth, Texas, finishing tied for 14th. His playing partners were Jim Herman and Ireland’s Shane Lowry on Thursday and Friday, then Jason Kokrak on Saturday on Sunday. His performance was totally scooping yet an unexpected and untimely news happened.
However, Champ did not compete and show-off his skills last week in the RBC Heritage. The Fort Worth and Hilton Head tournaments were the PGA Tour’s first two events back after a three-month hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Changes and adjustments were made. On Tuesday, Jordan Spieth said that thorough preparation and deliberation for the Travelers players were working with all of the necessary adjustments to protocol through all-player calls on Mondays or other day.
“It’s certainly changing, and it’s something that — it’s a plan to work on every single week,” Spieth said. “I think with Nick, the fact that there were no other positive tests was huge, clearly.
He also added “But the idea that the systems in place allowed for him to test negative on a Tuesday, somehow contract the virus by Friday but not spread it to anyone including the people he’s staying with means that there was something done right with what was in force at the golf course and how Nick was approaching it, as well. And I know he was one of the safest individuals from day one, so it’s kind of unfortunate that it happened to be him.”