US Reporter

Search

Collaboration for A Safer Boston: ABLE MADE and Ucal McKenzie Breakaway Foundation’s AED Distribution Initiative

ABLE MADE and Ucal McKenzie Breakaway Foundation
Sourced photo

During this month’s ESPY awards, Nate Breske, the head athletic trainer for the Buffalo Bills, made a resounding call for increased funding for AED and CPR training, particularly in underserved communities. He emphasized the vital role of athletic trainers in youth sports and urged individuals to equip themselves with life-saving skills. “Doing something is better than doing nothing,” he passionately underscored.

In a noteworthy display of teamwork and planning, luxury soccer-inspired athleisure clothing brand ABLE MADE and the Ucal McKenzie Breakaway Foundation (UMBF) have joined forces with Boston Parks and Recreation and In A Heartbeat Foundation to introduce a groundbreaking initiative. This collaborative effort aims to distribute Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) across public fields in Boston, enhancing the city’s ability to respond swiftly to sudden cardiac arrest incidents.

The inaugural launch of this life-saving program will take place at Moakley Park Field on Wednesday, July 26th, at 6 pm. This event marks a significant milestone as the first field to be equipped with an AED through this endeavor. 

Suzanne McKenzie, Founder & CEO of Able Made and Board Chair of Ucal McKenzie Breakaway Foundation, shares her personal connection to this cause. “AED accessibility in our communities is a cause that is deeply personal and close to my heart. My late husband did not have access to an AED during his sudden cardiac arrest emergency, and his outcome could have been different if he had. I want to help ensure there are more positive outcomes for others in the future.”

The deployment of AEDs is a significant step toward saving lives in emergencies. These advanced yet user-friendly medical devices can analyze the heart’s rhythm and deliver an electrical shock, known as defibrillation, if necessary, to restore a steady heartbeat. The Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation reports that immediate CPR combined with prompt AED usage can increase survival rates from sudden cardiac arrest to as high as 90%. Time is of the essence, as with each passing minute without AED intervention, the likelihood of survival decreases by 10%.

This remarkable project is deeply rooted in the memory of the late Ucal McKenzie, whose passion for soccer and commitment to mentorship touched the lives of many. Ucal’s untimely passing due to sudden cardiac arrest while playing a soccer game at Moakley Field has served as a powerful catalyst for this essential initiative.

ABLE MADE and Ucal McKenzie Breakaway Foundation

Sourced photo

Mike Papale, Founder of In A Heartbeat Foundation, shares his thoughts on the collaboration, stating, “In A Heartbeat is proud to partner with Able Made and the Ucal McKenzie Breakaway Foundation on this critical project to place AEDs in Boston Fields. When sudden cardiac arrest strikes, it is crucial for an AED to be deployed quickly to ensure the highest chances of survival. The more AEDs we have accessible in the community, the more lives we will save.”

Please visit this link for more information regarding the event here

Share this article

(Ambassador)

This article features branded content from a third party. Opinions in this article do not reflect the opinions and beliefs of US Reporter.